Friday, May 25, 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass



Goodreads Summary:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
  
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I don't know why I chose this book to read- other than I just kept seeing the cover. Especially since I don't like the cover- it looks like she's smelling her armpit. But, I figured, it was one of the most popular (added to TBR shelves, I guess) books on Goodreads for April. Overall, the author tells a decent story. The pacing is good. The real flaw is in character development- it's especially evident with America. We never get to really understand and know her. America's defining characteristic is "loves family". Which makes it really odd in this book because if she doesn't stand out to the reader, how are really supposed to buy that she will stand out to Prince Maxon and be selected? But, overall, not a bad first book.

Just checked, it's not her first book. Which kind of now lowers my opinion, a little.

Also, I recall another book recently released had a cover where it looked like a girl sniffing her armpits. Kind of put me off reading the book. So, I ran a Google search for "armpit sniffing book cover". The Selection came up- so the armpit sniffing thing seems to bother more than just me. But, around page 3 in the search results, this site came up: Ultimate Pitshots Kilikili Wonderland- Journal. I'm too timid to click on it, but if you're not, it's at: pitshots.multiply.com/journal (I don't know if it's safe for work)

I did go through the most popular books for 2011 and 2012 and found the other book on GR's list (2011). Here's armpit sniffing cover #2:


http://www.kieracass.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/kieracass




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...